Podcasts skipping back and over content during stream

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)
3.4.0 (5f5d744e7) from Google Play

Android version: 5.x (Please mention if you are using a custom rom!)

Device model:
Pixel 7

Expected behaviour:
Stream podcasts smoothly.

Current behaviour:
Podcast will skip back and repeat section already heard and skip over content without input from me. It seems like it’s in the episode itself because if I rewind, it happens again in the same location.

First occurred: (e.g. about x days/weeks ago)
About two weeks ago.

Steps to reproduce:

1. This
  2. Then that
  3. Then this
  4. Etc.
    It would just be listening to a particular podcast. Today listening to Up First 06-06-24 had it occur.

Environment: (Settings you have changed (e.g. Auto Download). “Unusual” devices you use (e.g. Bluetooth headphones). Did you select another media player?)
Haven’t changed any settings recently. Some podcasts are downloaded. Use Apple airpods. I tried podcast episodes on another player and didn’t experience the skipping.

Stacktrace/Logcat:

[if available]
2 Likes

I’m seeing this same behavior and at first it was just annoying but it’s starting to cause me to miss a minute(s) of audio over a podcast. It often seems to be somewhere around advertising breaks but not always. It also seems that it cuts off several second to a minute or more at the end of podcasts.

App version:
3.4.0 (5f5d744e7) from Google Play

Android version:

Device model:
Samsung S21 5G

Expected behaviour:

Current behaviour:
Podcast will skip back and repeat section already heard and skip over content without input. It seems like it’s in the episode itself because if I rewind, it happens again in the same location. Behavior is consistent in episodes and consistently happens with podcasts whether streamed, downloaded.

Some time in May

Steps to reproduce:

1. Download or stream a podcast
  2. Audio will skip back between 5-20 seconds and continue playing
1 Like

Just to created an account to say the same thing is happening with me. I really like the app (downloaded as a replacement for Google Podcasts).

App version:

Android version:

Device model:
Moto g31(w)

Expected behaviour:

Current behaviour:
Podcast content will repeat section already heard or skip forward content. The timer doesn’t change so it is not playback jumping around - if I scroll back 10 seconds the same error occurs. This has also led to the end of podcasts being cut off.
I had assume it was poor editing at first but it’s happening across a range of pods.

2 weeks ago.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Stream a podcast
  2. Audio will repeat content or skip forward but the timer will be remain continuous. End of podcast maybe cut off.

I have been troubleshooting this for months. I think I have found a work around.
It happened again today. So I re-downloaded the episodes on a known good internet at work - 1GB fiber(I thought my home internet was causing the problem because I am on a 24/7 whole network VPN).
That didn’t work. So I got home and I downloaded each episode one at a time and it seems to have fixed the issue.

So it seems that downloading multiple episodes from different sources is causing the problem.

Also, it doesn’t happen all of the time.

2 Likes

Interesting. I do often queue up 3-5 episodes of various podcasts at a time. I’ll test.

1 Like