AP starts playing a different downloaded episode halfway through another episode

App version: 3.4.0, from Google Play

Android version: 11
OS version: 4.14.113 - 2243036*3

Device model: Samsung SM-M307FN

Expected behaviour:
I want to stress this is happening very rarely, but it does happen from time to time.
In the middle of playing a downloaded episode, AP all of a sudden “jumps” to a different episode I’ve downloaded and continues to play it from some point in the middle (I can’t say for sure if it’s the same time code or not), without anything in the UI changing to inform of this change. The only solution is to delete the episode I was playing and then re-download it.
I’ve noticed this happens with episodes I’ve downloaded a long time ago, typically.

Current behaviour:
The selected episode should continue playing all the way through…

First occurred: (e.g. about x days/weeks ago)
About 6 months ago, but I’m not sure.

Steps to reproduce:
I haven’t been able to cause it to happen myself. It just happens from time to time.

Environment: (Settings you have changed (e.g. Auto Download). “Unusual” devices you use (e.g. Bluetooth headphones). Did you select another media player?)
None.

Stacktrace/Logcat:
There was no crash. This is the log I was able to find in the app:

Environment

Android version: 11
OS version: 4.14.113 - 2243036*3
AntennaPod version: 3.4.0
Model: SM-M307FN
Device: m30s
Product: m30seea

No crash report recorded

[I had to put asterisks between the numbers in the OS version because it was not letting me post it as a whole number, for some strange reason…]

When this happens, @Gilad_D next time, could you find the previous episode that was jumped from and start playing it again from the point when it stopped? What happens? Also, can you double check your Auto Skip settings is not set up to skip too much of the end of the episode for the podcast feed of the ‘skipped’ episode.

Thanks for the reply. It happened today, actually. But I think I didn’t explain the issue properly. It doesn’t jump from one episode to another. It continues to play the same episode, but the audio switches to something else entirely. This time it was about 15 seconds of audio that was playing from a completely different podcast I’m subscribed to, and then it returned to the original podcast and continued normally.
I’m aware it’s extremely difficult to debug without more details so the next time it happens I will try to record it, somehow.

I’m not sure where to find the Auto Skip setting you mentioned (didn’t find in under Playback in Settings). Please let me know where to look for it…

Here we go… It happened again, and this time I was able to record it happening. You’ll notice the audio from the other podcast starting to play at around 28s in the video. It plays for about 5 seconds, and then returns to the original podcast. When I jump back 15 seconds, it happens again, in the same location as before.
I’m keeping the app open with this issue happening, in case more info is required.

Link to the video: WhatsApp Video 2024-06-12 at 18.44.00.mp4 - Google Drive

@Gilad_D Can you tell us What podcast and what episode that is. It’s even easier if you send us the episode URL

Here’s the link to the podcast: Subscribe – AntennaPod

The episode in question is #394 from 06.06, but I want to clarify that it doesn’t happen only in this podcast or this episode. It’s been happening with multiple episodes of multiple (unrelated) podcasts.

The original location of the episode is here: שקמה ברסלר: "ממלכתיות חד צדדית היא טמטום. צריך לצאת למחאת ענק" - השבוע - הארץ

The page is in Hebrew but you can play it directly from the image at the center. You’ll notice that music is not a part of it at 51:45, although I’m noticing now the equivalent time-code of where it gets cut off in AP in my video is actually 51:50 on the web-page, so there’s a weird 5-second offset between the two streams, suggesting something is off with how the file is downloaded or stored by AP.

Is this being looked into? Do you need any additional information from me?

I see that you’re downloading your episodes. At first I wondered whether this could be the same root cause as another bug occurring when streaming, covered in thread Player audio randomly stops but seekbar continues progressing. I would suggest you tried the beta builds from there, but realize you’re unable to reliably trigger it?

In November of 2022 there was the thread Random bits of other podcasts cut into the intended one that should be playing, which seems to be similar to what you’re encountering. Right? That issue ought to be resolved long before 3.4.0, but maybe it could be worth reading through the thread in the hope of gaining some bright idea of a likely common factor?

Thanks for the update. Yes, I am downloading the episodes. I didn’t notice it happening when streaming, but I rarely do that anyway.

I had a look at the two threads you mentioned. The first one didn’t seem like it was describing the same issue.
The second one did seem quite similar but the audio is not from a feed with the same name, so I think it’s a different issue.

I have experienced this issue across many devices and versions of AntennaPod. Previously I could eliminate it my disabling simultaneous downloads, but on 3.4.0f this is unfortunately no longer an option, so I now this occasionally happens again for me.

Wildly different devices? Not all sharing some property with the device of the bug report? (I.e. not all Samsung or all Android 11?)

No common pattern in the which podcasts it happens to either? It happens to episodes of any feed?

Oh. The ability to limit to one parallel_downloads, introduced in 9fb5f33, disappered with the rewrite of downloading in 6d7bfef. Understandable, but arguably that can be seen as a regression when losing the ability to mitigate this entire class of issues. Maybe configuring any value between 1 and 50 is an unwanted feature to get back, but a boolean checkbox for allowing parallel downloads or not seems desirable in my book.

Hi:
Yesterday, while running, I realized that this does happen also with other apps, so I no longer blame AntennaPod. Also happens with VLC (playing local stuff) and (really oddly) with librera (reader app) while using tts. But only when I’m running. Should I cross post this to the other bug, the one related with podcast restarting? The behavior is mixed, I mean, one of the two things happens, jump to the next episode/song or restarting current episode/song. My guess is something related with BT headphones (tactile buttons) or with phone accelerometers (maybe buried in the OS there is something related with gestures, like shaking to skip or whatever). Crappy Redmi 12, android 14, AntennaPod 3.4.1. Hope this helps, AntennaPod is one of the reasons not moving to iPhone.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Two days ago I reset the phone and since then, I had no issues.