Big play button on notification bar

Pixel 4a android 13 5/may/23 security update and 1/may/23 play system update 

App version: x.y.z (state whether from Google Play/F-Droid/Custom built APK)

Play store -28/april/23 -version 3.0.2- no current updates available 

Problem you may be having, or feature you want:

Big hands, fiddley button, rain on screen, rushing to pause

Suggested solution:

Android 13 has an improved notification player controls for audio, this mainly includes moving the play button up and to the right separating it from forward and backtrack buttons, it's a small improvement with big quality of life improvement and antennaPod is my only app not to upgrade yet.

Screenshots / Drawings / Technical details:

It will only let me upload one image here see comment for comparison 

2 Likes

Vs this

I would like to see this too alongwith big buttons for the player as it’s too easy to misclick with the current cramped layout.

1 Like

I can’t think of many improvements I really need with AP but this is now #2 in my top 2 wants. The only other real improvement I want is the ability to add single episodes to the queue for podcasts I don’t actually subscribe to.

1 Like

Yea maybe move the play button off the bottom too as I have change my grip to reach it I’ve just checked all my other media apps and they got less used settings beneath play/pause
the notification thing is more annoying to me as I use it more and it breaks uniformity across my phone

1 Like

It a nice relief for someone to agree at rate it highly. It sounds and looks so minor but is so much better

I guess one reason you are not seeing much support for this request from other users is that they don’t need to bother with the playbar on the notification screen as they can more easily use the play control buttons on their Bluetooth headphones / earbuds / speaker instead so don’t even need to take the phone out of their pocket to use.

Hey there is a quick settings tile for AntennaPod that is a lot bigger and easier to press, its pretty handy for me for this very same reason

My current and many of my old headphones have play button jammed in with skip track button so I avoid the headphones controls all together, I also use remote speakers so my phone is next to me but the speaker is quite away, each to their own I guess

I didn’t know that thanks, I’m going to trial it for awhile. But it won’t show on lock screen and is still different from every other media app

Thanks for pointing this out, I had never noticed there was a Quick Settings tile available.

This looks like a how to guide for Devs, I don’t understand it but there aren’t many steps

https://source.android.com/docs/core/display/media-control

1 Like

As far as I can remember, the Podcast Addict dev said they uses this process for the notification player.

1 Like

Did they say how long or difficult it was to do?

1 Like

No, I don’t think that was mentioned.

1 Like

If an app targets Android 13 the large button is shown. AntennaPod 3.0.1 targets Android 12, but the latest version from develop branch does.

I’d really love to see a new version soon to get this button and few other improvements. Are there any blocking issues?

3 Likes

I’d love having 3.1 as beta.

Devs have vacation, so it might take a bit longer until 3.1: Monthly community call! - #44 by keunes

1 Like

Do you know if the devs are back working on this yet?

The version with this change has been released two weeks ago: Releases · AntennaPod/AntennaPod · GitHub

(It’s not mentioned in the changelog)