That’s quite interesting. That’d be different from what @merlin proposed (merging some screens, using tabs).
I’m not a fan of tabs, but I like the grouping of e.g. Queue (which we maybe should rename to Playlist indeed) and Playback history - it feels they fit together. Same for Podcasts and Add podcast.
Say we have space for 5 items, what about:
- Home (would be great if it gets implemented - proposal)
- Playlist (Queue, Playback History)
- Tags/Groups/Folders (basic function implemented, would need improvements - tapping on this menu item I feel could open the list of tags, to go to their respective list of podcasts or playlists - more info)
- Podcasts (Podcasts, Add podcast, Discover)
- Episodes (New, All, Favourite)
- Downloads (Running, Completed, Log)
Am I forgetting any screens? (I’d love to get an Inbox also but don’t see it happening any time soon.)
Would you order/arrange them differently?
Settings would need to be added:
- Sidebar VS bottom menu
- Bottom menu settings (e.g. order, what to show/hide)
Why have a side-bottom switch
I think we can’t force all users to use this in one go. Hence the bottom-side switch. Firefox on mobile has done something similar: setting for having the toolbar (incl menu) at the top or bottom. A switch allows us to gather feedback over a longer period of time, and let people switch when they’re ready.
When there is consensus on the list (content & order), I could start working on some mockups. Of anyone can paste here screenshots of bottom navigations they liked or disliked, that’d be very helpful for making mock-ups