Discussion about adding more statistics

Now statistics are accessible from podcast which I think is really nice.
Yet I think some more statistics should be added to info in podcast. It would give more insight to users. Speaking about it on the forum could be a good idea to determine which statistics could be added. An issue(s) on GitHub could be opened later depending on what would have been said.

What I think would be really nice to have :

• 1 : Average (or better median) released time for an episode based on last 10 episodes : IMHO info should displayed using a range like “1 to 2 days” or “2 to 3 month”

• 2 : For last 10 episodes : percentage of played episodes

• 3 : For all episodes : same ; but maybe it’s less useful as you could begin to listen to a podcast and don’t intend to play old episodes

• 4 : Number of days since an episode as been played : I don’t know if info about when an episode has been played is available ?

• 5 : Number of days since last released episode not played and not ignored (it’s where this status could be usefull) : if there is no such episode then indicate to user he is up to date

• 6 : Number of new episodes since last time an episode has been played

I’m giving idea on top of my head but the one I feel would really be nice is the first one to get an estimate on how frequent a podcast release episodes and have a rough idea when next episode might be available.

4 Likes

I am personally quite happy with the existing statistics. The only thing I’d love to see are the duration statistics for downloaded episodes (currently it shows size in MB and # of episodes per podcast) - so I’d add 3rd about duration - this way I can easily see how many hours I have downloaded in total & per podcast to still listen to.

BTW I know I can see the total duration in ‘Queue’ tab but not per podcast… :slight_smile:

Those are some good ideas. But I think we should try to use stats that are simple yet general enough that most users would use them.
A good one might be
Number of episodes finished.

I don’t think we should rely on this calculation locally. Might ask the PodcastIndex folks if they could provide this via their API. Saves AP calculation work, and avoid issues with ppl disabling updates for a specific podcast. See also Proposal: <podcast:frequency> tag to suggest feed refresh frequency · Issue #154 · Podcastindex-org/podcast-namespace · GitHub

This would be nice – could be very helpful to determine which podcasts to ditch. I think total number could work, since AP only start downloading episode data when you subscribe anyway. So might be unreliable just subscribed.
I’d focus on played (vs total duration) hours, rather than episodes – would produce a more reliable metric if you happen to skip short episodes and only listen to a few long ones, or vice versa.

I don’t thinkt the number of days per say would be super useful, but I like the idea of having an indication of being up to date or not. I think I’d combine the two: number of episodes since last ignored or played.

Agree we should keep it general and understandable. I think percentage of listened hours (as proposed above) is more useful than number of finished episodes as it’s more comparable between podcasts (that might have very different lengths per episode). But I agree this kind of metric could be the most interesting to start with.

I wouldn’t include that in the statistics screen as it’s just an indication of the current status. But I think it could work on the podcast info screen.

Both of them are already available when you tap an entry on the playback statistics page

Hah, you learn every day :stuck_out_tongue: Just percentages are missing.

Actually, it would be nice to have a selector in the main view that allows one to switch views/sorting mechanisms:

• Absolute
  • Relative (to podcast)
  • Relative (to total)

Also it would be great to be able to go to a podcast directly from the little modal. It can help, e.g., when cleaning up your list (disabling updates, deleting podcasts).

At the same time, there is already of course the Downloads tab: with a switch it could be set from Gigas to Hours.

I prefer having information about number of episodes instead of hours. That is because statistics is a way for me to know how much I listen to a podcast and not to compare it with other podcasts.

That’s why it’s more useful to know if I always listen to episodes or if there is a podcast which I don’t listen anymore (because I have several episodes not played and published after last time I listened one)

1 Like

I love the stats page, it makes me very happy. More stats would be better. As stated in previous posts, the more relevant the better. If I understood statistics I would make suggestions lol.

2 Likes

Well, once everybody decides on what to do, i’ll be happy to start implementing them.

3 Likes

How about we start with showing the current stats but with a time range picker? This way we can tell what are interests are over time.

We do store the last time that an episode was played. Such a range slider would therefore only be an estimate - if an episode is played twice, we no longer know when it was played the first time. Given that episodes are probably mostly played once, I think we can still use that number.

The problem is that the “playback history” screen uses the date and that pressing the clear button there deletes it. I think as a first step, we could rename the playback history screen to “recently played” and remove the feature to clear it. That way, we have more reliable data for stats generation. Maybe we could even move the playback history screen to the episode screen tabs instead of its own page, so we get some space in the sidebar for the “home” screen (and maybe the “inbox” screen). The change will probably annoy some users, though.

1 Like

I will try to sum up what everyone seems to be ok on.
If I am correct I think we should create corresponding issues in GitHub. (To everyone : feel free to do it If I didn’t because of time lacking)

For specific podcast info :
display info already available on transversal statistics about played episode which tell you how many episodes you played (number and duration).
I think it would be really nice to add percentage.
Add this info for last 10 episodes so you could know if you are still interested and actively listening.

For transversal statistics :
Add a range slider to let user choose the period he wants to have stats about.

A little bit off topic :
IMHO statistics should aim more to help managing podcasts. For instance : which podcast to drop (episodes lagging), which to prioritize (number of episodes to catch up, update frequency), which is dead (how long since last published episode).
That’s why it would make sense to have access to them from subscriptions screen. There should be a link / a shortcut in 3 dots menu after filter and sort. (And before number not columns)

1 Like

I think this might be a bit hard to understand because it would display many numbers (“30% of the last 10 episodes”). How about using something like “30% of the episodes released in the last month” or something similar?

It’s not the same. I have a podcast which release an episode every 3-6 month at best. (Right now last episode was from nov.15)
Having stats for a month wouldn’t help to know that I still always listen to all episodes.

1 Like

Maybe something that automatically says “30% of the episodes released in the last month” and “30% of the episodes released in the last year”, depending on the date of the 10 newest episodes? Could be confusing, though, if the text is different for different podcasts.

Agree with @Matth78 that using ‘last month’ is problematic due to differing frequencies.
I think we could say ‘latest episodes’ vs ‘all time’. ‘Latest’ then is 10 episodes, under the hood. We’d only show ‘latest’ in the podcast info screen, and display both in the stats detail view. Would that work?

I see your point. In the context of a bottom navigation, it might make sense actually to put ‘Podcasts’ and ‘Stats’ together. In a way, both screens provide the same list (podcasts), only with different information, in a different layout. So I would support your proposal to add a menu entry between ‘Sort’ and ‘Number of columns’.

In any case Stats are not settings, so I feel the screen should be moved either way, to wherever.

1 Like

+1 to that! It would also allow more flexibility to change or tune what is considered latest episodes.

2 Likes

Sounds like a fair solution. Before reading up on this thread, I was thinking many would already be happy with a yearly snapshot (‘what I listened to this year’). And the longer the period, the more reliable the ‘last listened’ time. Will create issues for these.

2 Likes

I’m interested in these more comprehensive stats feature - which issues should I follow?

I did intend to open corresponding issues but lost track of it.
Will do right now and will update my post with corresponding issues.

Edit :
Issue 5102 : Statistics screen - Add range slider to select a period
Issue 5103 : Add more statistics to podcast info screen - Number of played episodes and info for latest played